9 October 2020: A complex residential remedial project that repaired, restored and revitalised a historic Darling Point apartment development has been honoured with a Master Builders Association (NSW) ‘Excellence in Housing’ Award. Buildcorp’s Asset Solutions team proudly took-out the top spot in the ‘Home Unit Renovation – External’ category for their Nevada project.
The 34 Nevada apartments were built in the 1940s, renowned as a ‘building of its time’ as it was built to five levels in an otherwise low-rise area. Thanks to a significant repair and restoration program, delivered while residents were still residing in the building, the apartments have improved liveability and a new lease of life.
Solutions and scope
The complex project required solutions to fix, strengthen and modernise the windows, balconies, and parts of the façade. These responsive solutions were developed as investigations into the building’s conditions progressed and included:
- Windows: 253 of the original steel window frames were remediated while in situ. Buildcorp’s solution to remove the hazardous lead paint whilst protecting the residents, involved a secure dust proof cover that fully sealed all units from the works. Existing glass was replaced with new Low-e glazing to better control the temperature and lighting.
- Balconies: 58 balconies were structurally strengthened and reinstated, replacing the brick balustrade with aluminium and glass.
- Façade: The façade required render repair and painting, completing the refresh of the building’s aesthetic.
- Compliance: During the previous stage of the project, Buildcorp delivered an extensive upgrade of the fire system to ensure compliance.
- Safety management: Buildcorp’s industry leading safety and quality management systems enabled the safe delivery of over 318 high risk works, without any safety incidents.
The finished product is a compliant, safe and structurally sound building with a refreshed aesthetic that honours the development’s architectural and social heritage.
For enquiries about our remedial service please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Before and after images