As a family owned construction business, investing in opportunities for men and women at different stages of their careers isn’t just the right thing to do, it also makes good business sense.
We believe in the power of balanced teams, diverse perspectives and complementary thinking. We also aim to partner with like-minded organisations and be part of their solution; be it a construction project, a sponsorship or a philanthropic initiative.
For these reasons, we consider ourselves a natural sponsor of the Buildcorp Super W and Australia’s women’s Rugby XVs team, the Buildcorp Wallaroos. It’s not only an extension of our existing rugby sponsorships, it’s also an investment in a development pathway for women and men of all backgrounds.
Like rugby, construction has for a long time been a male dominated domain. But through sponsorships, cultural focus and initiatives, we aim to inspire a broad range of people, rebalance the pipeline and create well-rounded team players from the grassroots all the way to the top. To support this, we are adding our new ‘MEN + WOMEN AT WORK’ signs on our project sites- coming soon to a construction site near you!
Investing in our own balanced teams – 2019 update
Buildcorp’s leaders have always aimed to create a workplace where people feel safe and rewarded. So it’s no surprise that as we grew, our culture, team work and female representation developed organically and received industry recognition along the way.
In 2018 this recognition peaked with an ‘Employer of Choice’ award from the Australian Business Awards. This award is important to us because it reinforced that the ‘Culture of Choice’ we have worked so hard to foster was supporting and delivering outcomes for the people we created it for.
Other recent outcomes our culture and some common sense decisions have helped us achieve include:
- Our female participation is 83% higher than the construction industry’s average (2018 WGEA Report).
- Our pipeline, through our comprehensive cadet training program is now comprised of 50% men and 50% women
- Buildcorp now has double the number of women in ‘manager’ roles compared to our industry peers
- We offer a university rugby scholarship open to men and women undergraduates
- We continually seek and attract women and men working in parallel industries with transferrable skills looking for a different challenge
- Where possible we offer flexible work solutions that appeal to both men and women as they navigate periods of personal change in their lives
- Most importantly, we focus on being a great place to work and 94% of our workforce agree.