Campbell’s Stores Redevelopment
The challenge to restore a Sydney heritage icon
Campbell’s Stores is a waterfront State Heritage listed landmark dating back to 1839, located at The Rocks, Sydney. Tallawoladah Pty Ltd selected Buildcorp to undertake a 18 month significant heritage refurbishment to bring the sandstone buildings back to their former glory. Working alongside a range of stakeholders adjacent to the site, Buildcorp rejuvenated the tenancy spaces and new public amenities which have improved overall public accessibility and enhanced connectivity into Circular Quay.
Making heritage work
Bringing the heritage elements back to life required intensive analysis, research, prototyping and considered restoration and management systems. A limited existing building footprint required thorough services coordination to accommodate new plant and services requirements. Over 300 samples and 30 prototypes were tested to identify the best products and methods to suit the heritage fabric. New slate roofing was sourced from the same quarry in Wales where it was originally procured from.
Structural timber columns were scanned and assessed for their structural integrity prior to being modified to strengthen and restore most of the heritage fabric. Around 80% of the columns required internationally sourced tools to undertake the restoration and allow for new footings below the modified columns.
Throughout the course of the external works archaeologist consultants helped assess findings, one of which required a re-design of major in-ground services and the entire northern forecourt area.