Nine workplace, North Sydney
Ten floor technical fit-out delivered at the same time as the base building
Buildcorp was engaged by Nine to deliver their ‘1 in 65 years’ workplace project at new 1 Denison Street 5 Star Green Star commercial tower in North Sydney. The media and broadcast business moved their operations from the historic Willoughby campus to their new ‘building within a building’ and announced a merger with Fairfax as the project commenced.
The project was a non-integrated fit-out where Buildcorp delivered the fit-out at the same time as the base builder was building the other 27 floors above Nine’s anchor tenancy. The scope included broadcasting production studios and supporting spaces, a data centre and an open plan workspace fit-out for up to 1400 staff members.
Detailed solutions for technical challenges
The project’s key challenges and solutions included:
- Adaptive program to support Nine’s floor restacking during construction and achieve multiple staged handover dates.
- Early procurement wins and design refinement which improved the buildability of the staircase, simplified key joinery features and gained market competitiveness for the significant data cabling.
- Delivering the 86-rack data centre, along with duplicate Uninterrupted Power Sources, defect-free in just eight weeks to meet an early handover date in January 2020.
- Complex services solutions for specialist broadcast studios and control rooms to achieve optimal acoustic and data performance. The team worked closely with Nine’s specialist broadcast consultants to ensure a seamless handover and operational readiness.
- Collaborative approach for services, logistics and defect management to accommodate the concurrent base builder’s works. The team worked hand in glove with the base builder to ensure the successful commissioning of services.