St Andrew’s College Thyne Reid Link Development
ECI delivers seven story link building with 88 new beds
This seven storey new build and refurbishment project now links the existing Thyne and Reid buildings at St Andrew’s College, located at the University of Sydney. The team’s collaborative approach saw them exceed project milestones, including early handover six weeks before scheduled Practical Completion.
D&C methodology to maintain bed numbers and minimise impact
Buildcorp was first engaged in a 12 week Early Contractor Involvement (ECI) agreement before presenting a lump sum offer and Design & Construct solution for the project. A key priority for the College was to maintain the amenity of current residents throughout the project and maximise bed numbers while completing the refurbishment of the Reid Building. During the ECI, the team developed a room occupancy plan to ensure the safety of residents, and a staged handover methodology for the accommodation to maximise revenue for the College.
The project scope included:
- 88 new bedrooms, recreational facilities including a gymnasium and common areas in the new Link Building.
- Large staircase and new lifts to allow ease of access and to increase the community feel of the new facility.
- Refurbishment of the Reid Building included all rooms and corridors as well as the addition of a new floor on top of the existing roof, providing 14 new rooms.
- A new façade along Carillion Ave which is is a modern interpretation of the existing façade whilst proportions and material choices blend the old with the new seamlessly.
- A new landscaped courtyard used to mask an inground OSD tank.
- A new commercial kitchen to cater to the students included the creation of a separate servery and back-of-house kitchen area with additional cool and freezer room capacity.
St Andrew's College
Allen Jack & Cottier Architects