Santa Sophia Catholic College
Prefabrication innovation to deliver a $152M vertical school in 14 months
The Catholic Education Diocese of Parramatta engaged Buildcorp to deliver this landmark school offering classes from Kindergarten to Year 12 and marking the beginning of a new community precinct for the area. The ‘vertical’ school design comprises of five buildings, each up to six stories each, as well as a range of outdoor learning spaces.
Through close collaboration, Buildcorp transitioned from a six month Early Contractor Involvement phase, supported by extensive use of Building Information Modelling (BIM), into a 14 month D&C delivery.
This short program timeframe is being achieved via a detailed prefabrication strategy which also aims to improve quality control. Over 20 regional and metropolitan suppliers are manufacturing the prefabricated elements, including partner Euroline who are prefabricating 90% of the joinery off site. Several prototypes and samples provided the school with piece of mind well ahead of the final product being completed.
Pre-fabrication elements also include:
- Structural steel framework
- Pre-cast concrete core and walls
- SlimDek slab systems
- Façade solutions with a combination of curtain wall and modularised framing systems
- Prefabricated and modularised balustrading and stairwells
- Floor, wall and ceiling modules
- Early manufacture of joinery, modular furniture and booths, stored off-site to later fast-track installation
- Modular vertical climbing wall